Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lets talk pregnancy weight!

Because talking about the ridiculous weight I gained while pregnant with Court will be just so much fun. At the beginning of my pregnancy I was commited to sticking to the 25-35 pounds recommended by my doctor, and at the beginning I was doing well. I believe by week 20 I was up only 9 pounds. I was proud and confident that I'd be able to stay in the range. But something happened and the weight kept creeping and creeping. Could it have something to do with the pound of See's candy I ate at Christmas? After week 30, Mike wasn't able to come anywhere near the scale at the doctors office and no lie, when I was having my NSTs done at the hospital and the nurse would ask me what my weight was, I would either whisper it to her or ask Mike to leave the room (hello, when he met me I was probaby 115). I was horrified. At my 39 week appointment, 5 days before I went into labor, I weighed in at a whopping 188 pounds. ::shoot me now:: I thought I would never in my life be pushing 190 pounds. I'm 5'4" for crying out loud. That is so not OK. I had gained 42 pounds. God bless the nurses at the hospital. Because I was borderline hypertensive, I had a ridiculous amount of swelling, and they reminded me the weight I was gaining was mostly water.

Please notice how disgustingly swollen my hand is in this photo:


From what I remember, by 1 week postpartum I was down 20 pounds and by 2 weeks postpartum I was down 30 pounds. Amazing! At 6 weeks, I joined Weight Watchers and have lost an additional 6 pounds. Because I am exclusively breastfeeding, I am only supposed to lose 1 pound a week as to not compromise my milk supply.

I have some goals I have set for myself and I will not be sharing them on my blog. With a newborn, plans need to be flexible and I don't want to feel like I'm letting anyone down if some of my plans change. But so far I am proud of how I have been doing.

And because I have the cutest little girl, I'll include a recent photo. I have been experimenting with my new camera. Here is Court napping in her crib.



1 comment:

Ashley King said...

i know it's suuuuper hard not to be so critical of yourself, but i assure you, that you look great!!!! honestly!!! i was the WORST critic of myself and jason would say "you're crazy," which really didn't help.... keep a goal in mind for you, and as long as you're healthy, that's all that matters!!! i think you've done a great job!!! and remember (not that it really helps, but it should) that our bodies are NOT the same as they were as a teenager. i was confident i'd bounce back after i had lewie the same way i did with taylor. NOT! it took MUCH longer, and not to mention the SURGERY postpones things a LOT more.... don't be so hard on yourself. i'm glad you're happy with your accomplishments. keep it up, you look great! =)