Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Crockpot Cookin - Chicken & Stuffing

I'm always searching Pinterest or the web for some new and most importantly, easy crockpot recipes. I ran across this one and thought I'd give it a try. 1) Stovetop was one of the ingredients and Mike loves him some Stovetop. 2) It only has a handful of ingredients. Most of what I already had on hand. I decided to do a small variation so here is what I did.

I'm not IN LOVE with Stovetop like Mike is but I love myself some Mrs. Cubbison's Stuffing. Mmmmmm! So first I substituted the 6oz bag of Stovetop for a 6oz bag of Mrs. Cubbison's Cornbread Stuffing. If you've ever made Mrs. Cubbison's stuffing casserole before, you know that you add onion and celery to the mix. The casserole recipes calls for 1/2 cup butter to brown the veggies. Instead I browned the veggies using good ol Pam. The original Chicken and Stuffing recipe uses the Stovetop dry so I didn't want the Mrs. Cubbison's to be too moist when I put it into the crock pot.

Are you still with me? So one 6oz bag Mrs. Cubbison's Cornbread Stuffing mixed with browned onion and celery without the butter (hey - this saves calories and fat as well).

Next I mixed 1/2 cup fat free sour cream with 1 can cream of chicken soup and 1/4 cup water. Stired that together until mixed well.

I thawed out 3 chicken breasts (I did 3 instead of 4 because the Costco chicken breasts are huge.) I put them on the bottom of the crock pot.

Then I took the stuffing and covered the chicken breasts.

Lastly I covered the stuffing mix with the sour cream/cream of chicken mixture. Spread it out over the top to cover the stuffing.

Put the lid on and set the crockpot to low.

Ingredients I used:
- 3 thawed large Costco chicken breasts
- 6oz pouch Mrs. Cubbison's Cornbread Stuffing
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup Fat Free sour cream (you can use whole or light)

Verdict: Pretty good. Mike liked it. Courtney ate about two bites. I liked it. Although I did forget to turn the crockpot over to warm after the 4 hours were up so I felt like I had dried out the chicken. But eh, you live and learn. And hey, it was easy peasy.

No comments: