Thursday, April 1, 2010

31 weeks down...9 to go!

Seriously? 9 weeks left? I'm getting quite excited about this. I had my 30 week appointment on Monday and Dr. Bush said that I'm doing great. He said I am measuring right on and that the baby sounds great! I noticed in the last week that my feet and ankles have started swelling so I mentioned it to him. He said he isn't worried and for me to cut back on salty foods, drink lots of clear liquids and keep my feet up as much as I can. I also loved the fact that when talking about the baby moving he said "It's funny to watch lean girls like you with a baby because when they move it looks like someone threw a cat in a paper bag. Your whole belly just starts moving." I could just kiss him for saying I was a "lean girl". The scale in his office would beg to differ and I'm pretty sure it lets out a moan when I step on it.

We had a wonderful time visiting friends and family in California last week even though it went by way too fast. I had my Pain Management and Special Circumstances class at the hospital on Tuesday and it actually scared the crap out of me. They went over epidurals, IVs, episiotomies, the vaccuum, forceps, we watched an animation of a c-section and learned all the advantages and disadvantages to all the different interventions. It can really freak you out. Especially when they tell you the use of forceps can cause temporary facial paralysis of the baby. OMG! There are just some things I'd rather not know.

How Courtney is growing this week:
This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. She weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. She can turn her head from side to side, and her arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath her skin. She's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy.

She weighs as much a 4 navel oranges:


And for fun, a picture of my swollen feet and ankles from my shower on Saturday:


2 comments:

Ashley King said...

i don't think you look swollen at all. =)

they HAVE to tell you those things in advance, so that you don't freak out JUST IN CASE they happen. i'm sure you won't have any of that and everything will be just fine. i've been in the delivery room for every single one of those scenarios and NONE of them are as bad as people think they will be. you'll do great.
i'm excited for you. =)

Stacy said...

Look at my veiny hand in that picture! LMAO! Love you guys. I had fun at the shower and was glad I was able to get out there!