Sunday, November 29, 2009

I've made it to 2nd Tri!

Today I am 13 weeks and 3 days. That means I am officially in my 2nd Trimester. If you divide 40 weeks by 3 trimesters you get 13.3. I am so excited to be out of the dreaded 1st Trimester. It is such a stressful time.

We had our 12 week checkup on Wednesday, Nov. 25 (I was actually one day shy of 13 weeks)and everything is fine. All they did was have me pee in a cup, take my blood pressure and listen for the baby's heartbeat with the doppler. She warned me that it may be too early to hear it and that the nurse that listened for it last time at 8 weeks 6 days probably found my own heartbeat thinking it was the babys (since she says it is unusual to find it at that gestational age). I think that is rediculous since it was in the 160s and very quiet. Whatever. So she puts the doppler on my stomach and right away you can hear the heartbeat. What a relief! I had planned to ask to record it with my cell phone but was so excited to listen to it I didn't want to interupt. Mike was able to make the appointment so he got to hear it for the first time. He was smiling from ear to ear.

My next appt. is on Dec. 16 and they will be drawing more blood for my quad screen. The quad screen determines if a woman is at higher or lower risk of carrying a baby with a birth defect. This test is not 100% but it can bring forth markers that would then allow us to decide whether we want to do further testing such an an amniocentesis. I'm not too worried about this test.

A little about baby this week from Baby Center. Fingerprints have formed on your baby's tiny fingertips, her veins and organs are clearly visible through her still-thin skin, and her body is starting to catch up with her head — which makes up just a third of her body size now. If you're having a girl, she now has more than 2 million eggs in her ovaries. Your baby is almost 3 inches long and weighs nearly an ounce.



I took my first belly picture on Thanksgiving (13 weeks) and will post it soon.

1 comment:

Sweet Craftikins said...

Wooo Hooo for 2nd trimester!! The 2nd was my favorite and I'm sure it will be yours! You'll get that cute baby bump and get the baby shoppig bug!!